Saturday, January 23, 2010

Self Discipline

It seems as if all of the lessons and experiences I have had thus far in my life have been (sometimes) gentle prodding from the Lord to become self-disciplined. While each experience seemed different to me as I encountered them all individually, as I reflect, I recognize now that they were just self-discipline in sheep's clothing.

I have always known, recognized, and admired those in my life who were able to be internally strong, and to self-regulate in a way that created a life of discipline over time. What I didn't realize was that this quality is not peripheral... it is central. I don't know why I fight it, because I feel compelled to fight against it with all I have. Maybe sometimes it's because I feel exhausted, or imperfect. Maybe sometimes it is because discouragement looms over me, and I'm just not sure I have it within me to keep trying.

One thing I do know - all gospel principles seem to lead to being able to control and regulate oneself from within - in a way that brings true joy. Not happiness - joy. I marvel at the unique life "recipe" each person I meet must experience, and I stress experience. As a side note here, I have intentionally not used the word endure here, as endure to me means to brace yourself against whatever you must face, and I believe that you must embrace what life has presented in order to be moldable and to change for the good.

In the end, I believe the most important thing is that no matter what your challenges, and how severe and unbearable they may seem, do your best to show up to the battle each and every day and to fight the fight to the best of your ability. The gains that can be made gradually in the face of absolutely unbearable adversity are more than the brain can comprehend, and it never ceases to amaze me how, when I come through to the other side, I cannot seem to understand how I arrived, except to know that somehow, through the grace of God and some really amazing friends and family, I did not quit when quitting was all I could visualize.

Here is to all of those amazing family and friends who show up each day and fight their fight with grace and gratitude. I appreciate your example and fortitude more than you'll ever know.

3 comments:

  1. Me, too. I could not say it any better and I am glad you are on my team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your most profound thoughts take me to Relief Society Presidency meeting yesterday...during which we came to discover through our study together that patience (showing up every day) is the key to keeping the heart broken open with humility in order to be taught and influenced! May we all be prayerfully patient!! Love, mom/gma

    ReplyDelete